The MCPL Blog
2009 will forever be remembered as THE year Library customers checked out 1,000,000 books, CDs, DVDs, magazines and other materials. The Public Library has always played a vital role in Marathon County life. Its value and appeal has only increased in the tough times we find ourselves in. Given the present economic picture, 2009 may just be the FIRST OF MANY 1,000,000-checkout years!
While the 'March to a Million' campaign occupied center stage in 2009, many other noteworthy events, programs and services were provided during the year.
*We had a very successful Summer Library Program; likewise, Marathon County Reads.
*Older Americans programs continued to be popular as did Children's Storytimes and the various Book Clubs held at all locations. Use of the Homebound Program increased greatly.
*Programming for Teens was expanded and proved very popular.
*A Career Connection Area was created at the Headquarters Library to aid Marathon County unemployed find jobs. Job collections were also strengthened at all branches.
Whether through the Headquarters Library, Branch Libraries or Homebound Program, the Marathon County Public Library is committed to serving the educational, informational and entertainment needs of all County residents.
From all the Library Staff, Library Board, Volunteers, Friends and Foundation, thank you for a landmark year!
We've met and exceeded our goal to lend 1,000,000 items in 2009!
As part of our "March to a Million" celebration, we gave away many great prizes. Congratultions to the prize winners below!
Thanks again to all of our customers for making our "March to a Million" a reality!
We could not have done it without you..
- Prize #1 – GRAND PRIZE : $50 Riiser gas card; $25 gift card to City Grill, One Night stay at the Jefferson Street Inn (Anita Koss)
- Prize #2 - $25 City Grill (Lorraine Mroczewski)
- Prize #3 - $25 Great Dane (Khue Y.)
- Prize #4 - $25 Riiser Gas Card (Melissa Omelian)
- Prize #5 - $25 Riiser Gas Card (Dana Ketchum)
- Prize #6 – daily Nine Mile ski or snowshoe pass (Josie B.)
- Prize #7 - $25 Trig’s Gift Card (Terri Lynch)
- Prize #8 - $25 New Roots Coffee Gift Card (Joshua I.)
- Prize #9 - $20 Village Inn Gift Certificate (Cindy Riedel)
- Prize #10 - $10 Red Eye Brewing Co. Gift Card (Marge Prazuch)
- Prize #11- Free Large Pizza from Polito’s (Abigail S.)
- Prize #12- Free Large Pizza from Polito’s (Jacob K.)
- Prize #13- Free Large Pizza from Polito’s (James O.)
- Prize #14- Free Large Pizza from Polito’s (Angie Bratz)
- Prize #15 - $5 Wausau Mine Co. Gift Card (Joan Zastrow)
- Prize #16 - $5 Library Coupon, Book Bag, Free Car Wash at Riiser (Sandy Jaje)
- Prize #17 - $5 Library Coupon, Book Bag, Free Car Wash at Riiser (Charlie S.)
- Prize #18 - $5 Library Coupon, Book Bag, Free Car Wash at Riiser (Bob S.)
- Prize #19 - $5 Library Coupon, Book Bag, Free Car Wash at Riiser (Eric D.)
- Prize #20 - $5 Library Coupon, Book Bag, Free Car Wash at Riiser (Doug D.)
Our regular storytime schedule--Book Babies, Tales for Twos, Preschool Storytimes and Family Fun--will be suspended for two weeks over the holiday season.
Storytimes will resume after the holidays, beginning with Book Babies Monday morning, January 4.
However, we will be showing "School's Out" movies on two days, in our Wausau Room Theater on the downtown library's third floor:
Tuesday, December 29 at 10:30--a movie featuring the Care Bears.
Tuesday, December 29 at 2:00--a movie featuring the Chipmunks.
Wednesday, December 30 at 10:30--a movie featuring the Muppets.
Wednesday, December 30 at 2:00--a movie featuring animals in the Ice Age.
All ages are welcome to attend!
Categories: Children, Programs, Movies
You can now use OverDrive, the free digital media download resource, to download ebooks in two formats—Adobe PDF and EPUB format. You can download these ebooks to your computer (Windows or Mac) or to your Sony ebook reader. Currently they cannot be downloaded to an Amazon Kindle or a Palm/Pocket PC device.
Category: electronic databases
Trust the Federal and State Governments to lessen the Christmas holiday cheer. Even as Marathon County residents are enjoying the holiday season, 2009 tax forms are on their way to all MCPL locations!
As with previous years, all MCPL branches will have a variety of Federal and Wisconsin tax forms available for our customers. Federal forms will be available starting December 26th. Wisconsin forms will be available beginning in mid-January 2010.
Marathon County taxpayers will be able to take any of the 1040 series, Schedules A/ D/ EIC/ EZ/ R/ SE, Forms 2106/2441/3903/etc. or Publications 501/523/535/590/etc. Wisconsin forms and instructions will include Homestead Credit, Form 1/1A/1NPR/WI-Z and Schedule WD.
Other Federal or Wisconsin forms will be available for copying at the IRS or Wisconsin Department of Revenue websites.
Assistance in preparing your tax form will be provided at NorthCentral Technical College.
Happy Holidays from all of us at the Marathon County Public Library!
Friday, December 4 is the night of the annual Wausau holiday parade, where Wausau really shows its stuff! The parade starts at 6:30 pm and treks from Marathon Park east to the downtown City Square where Mayor Tipple will light the official Christmas Tree. The gaiety then moves inside to the warm Great Hall where hot chocolate and cookies will be served while the hopeful kiddies visit with Santa. MCPL will provide some fun Christmas craft activities - make Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer with googley eyes, or a set of jingle bells to ring in the new year! Don't miss it and dress warm!