The MCPL Blog
Major Passport Application changes as of Friday, February 1.
- Passport Cards—applications for new wallet-sized Passport Cards will be accepted, which will be issued this April or May. Passport Cards may be used for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. They cannot be used for international travel. The Passport Card will cost $20.00 plus a $25.00 execution fee for individuals 16 and over, and $10.00 plus an execution fee of $25.00 for those individuals who are under the age of 16. Find more information on Passport Cards at the U.S. Department of State website.
- Applicants Under the Age of 16--All people under the age of 16 (changed from age 14) need to appear in person with both of their parents who both need to sign their child’s passport application or a notarized parental Statement of Consent needs to be presented.
- Fee Changes---A regular Book Passport for those 16 and older will cost $75.00 plus an execution fee of $25.00, and $60.00 for applicants under the age of 16 plus a $25.00 execution fee. An applicant may apply for a Passport Card and Passport Book at the same time and pay only one execution fee.
- Validity of Passport Cards and Passport Books--valid for 10 years for individuals age 16 and above, and 5 years for applicants under the age of 16.
- New Forms—Revised application forms need to be used for both a first-time application for a passport and a renewal of a passport by mail.
The Marathon County Public Library is a Passport Acceptance facility. Passport Acceptance Agents at the Wausau location are happy to answer your questions and assist you with your passport applications any hours that the Library is open.